Social Media Optimization (SMO) is a way of generate popularity for a website through social media like popular online communities and community websites. It is in several ways like viral marketing where a website is made well-liked through word of mouth created through the use of networking in social bookmarking, video and photo sharing.
Social media optimization has proved itself to be a better way of getting traffic to a website than Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Social Media Optimization (SMO) or Social SEO is the method of social media activity with the intent of attracting visitors to website. There are two method of promotion first is SEO and another is SMO.
Methods incorporated by SEO Step for social media optimization include adding:
• RSS feeds
• Including a Digg This button
• Incorporating community functionalities of the third party such as the Flickr photo galleries and slides or the You Tube video
The most popular platforms include:
Blogs, Delicious, Digg, Facebook, Flickr, Foursquare (social network), Hi5, LinkedIn, MySpace, Reddit, Tagged, Tumblr, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Xanga
Benefits of Social Media Optimization:-
1. It generates free website traffic.
2. It boosts up the brand visibility.
3. It generates inbound links.